Actions to be taken against students for indulging and abetting ragging in technical institutions Universities including Deemed to be University imparting technical education:-
1. The punishment to be meted out to the persons indulged in ragging has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents.
2. Every single incident of ragging a First Information Report (FIR) must be filed without exception by the institutional authorities with the local police authorities.
3. The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, with regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging.
4. a) Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following:-
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
b)An appeal against the order of punishment by the Anti-Ragging Committee shall lie,
- In case of an order of an institution, affiliated to or constituent part, of the University, to the Vice-Chancellor of the University;
- In case of an order of a University, to its Chancellor.
- In case of an institution of national importance created by an Act of Parliament, to the Chairman or Chancellor of the institution, as the case may be.
5.The institutional authorities shall intimate the incidents of ragging occurred in their premises along with actions taken to the Council form time to time.
Action to be taken against the technical Institution, University including Deemed to be University imparting technical education which fail to take measures for prevention of ragging:-
1. Role of the concerned technical institutions, Universities including Deemed to be Universities imparting technical education shall be open to scrutiny for the purpose of finding out whether they have taken effective steps for preventing ragging and action taken against provision indulged and/or abetting ragging. The Council shall constitute Committees to inspect technical institutions, Universities including Deemed to be Universities imparting technical education to verify the status of anti ragging measures and to investigate specific instances of ragging and take appropriate action.
2. The technical Institution, University including Deemed to be University imparting technical education should submit an affidavit along with its compliance report submitted to AICTE annually with details of measures taken for prevention of ragging in technical institutions.The Compliance Report should also contain the details of the instances of ragging and action taken against students, and others for indulging and abetting ragging.
3. All Letters of Approval issued by AICTE such as extension of approval letters, letters issued for additional courses/increase in intake and letters issued for new technical institutions, release of grants, letters of approval issued to integrated campus, second shift etc. shall contain a specific clause of prevention of ragging.
4. The AICTE shall, in respect of any institution that fails to take adequate steps to prevent ragging or fails to act in accordance with these Regulations or fails to punish perpetrators or incidents of ragging suitably, take one of more of the following measures, namely;
- No admission/Withdrawal of approval granted under section 10(k) of AICTE Act.
- Withholding any grant allocated.
- Declaring the institution ineligible for consideration for any assistance under any of the general or special assistance programmes of the AICTE.
- Informing the general public, including potential candidates for admission, through a notice displayed prominently in the newspapers or other suitable media and posted on the website of the AICTE, declaring that the institution does not possess the minimum academic standards.
- Taking such other action within its powers as it may deem fit and impose such other penalties as may be provided in the Act for such duration of time as the institution complies with the provisions of these Regulations.
5. As regards the Universities including Deemed to be Universities imparting technical education the actions proposed to be taken such as stopping release of grants, withdrawal of approval/recognition will be sent to University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India and the concerned State Govt./UT. The UGC, MHRD Govt. of India, and the State Govt./UT concerned shall initiate immediate action on the recommendations of the Council.